Sunday, November 11, 2012

Museum of Natural History Lang Science Program Application

This March my mother told me about a program held at the Museum of Natural History called the Lang Science Program that interested me greatly. I then set up a goal to enter that program even if it was one of the most rigorous ones to enter.
The first step was to answer about six questions that the program sent by mail that explain a few of the reasons why I chose to enter this program in specific as well as what types of science I a am fascinated by the most. This went through many drafts before it was sent to the museum two weeks after the first stage was given. I also had to have at least two letters of recommendation, one from the principal and one from a teacher. I brought four just in case. I received the letter from the museum a month later saying that I passed the first stage.

My diorama of the universe

The next step was to create a diorama and make a description on it as well. I was given a week to complete the project.  It was going to be a diorama of the universe, displaying major categories such as nebulae, stars, black holes etc. For each category, there was an example with a description about it. I also brought with me some of my ideas and a printout of Zero Gravity. It turned out nicely at the end.
A few weeks later, on a Saturday, I went to the Museum of Natural History with my project to take an interview with four different people who had different roles in the program. They asked me questions about the diorama, my interests, weaknesses, strengths etc. The results of the interview came back a month later saying that I was not accepted into the program. Even though I didn’t make it, I enjoyed the experience. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment